Caran D'ache 849 fountain pen review

 The Caran D’Ache 849 is my first fountain pen of Caran D’Ache in my collection. The Caran d'Ache fountain pens are really luxurious pens that feel at home with the more expensive fountain pens. They are all made in Switzerland so we can assume that the quality is good.

The 849 is their entry-level fountain pen and is at least ten times cheaper than their other pens. I paid 55 Euros for this pen.

The pen comes in a nice Caran D’Ache red cardboard box that includes a cartridge (Idyllic blue). The pen is available in multiple colors including even fluorescent. I ordered the Metal black with a fine nib. Other available nib sizes are EF, B and Medium.

The pen is similar to the Lamy Logo or the Parker Vector only a bit longer. Its long thin faceted shape of the barrel and cap are eye-catching. I like the quality finish of the Metal black body.



We can say a lot about the cap. The top of the cap has the Caran D’Ache logo and looks nice. The metal clip is removable and is handy. Kinda strange is that the brand name is somewhat hidden underneath the clip. At the top of the clip, on the cap is clearly stated 'Swiss made'. Only drawback is that the cap turns loose when the pen is closed causing the facets of the pen not being aligned. This is not really my cup of tea, but hey, I can live with it.




You can post the cap on the barrel but it’s not secure at all. Above all it seems useless because it makes the pen so long even for people with big hands.

The barrel and cap are made of aluminum and therefore very light. Overall, the pen feels light and well balanced.

The section is in some shiny plastic and feels actually cheap. Also there is a small gap between the barrel and the section that can be distracting. The grip has no ergonomical function. 

The pen uses the standard international cartridges or a converter.

The stainless steel fine nib is long and combined with the thin section it gave me a good feeling when writing/drawing. The nib performs well and I did not have any issues with it. When I was doing some sketching I had the impression that ink flow was not following my quick sketchy lines. I just expected a bit more of the finish of the metal nib. It contains the Caran D’Ache logo.

To clean the pen and get all the ink out, you can simply take the nib and feeder apart.




My first impressions on this pen gave me a not so satisfied feeling, perhaps my expectations were too high. When I was preparing this review, my eyes opened and I saw the good things of this pen like its writing performance and good looks. To be a daily pen carriage I think for eg. students the price is too high. On the other hand, to get a Caran D'Ache you have to sacrifice some money. But I have to confess, I have no regret buying this pen.


Comments

Popular Posts