Lamy Aion black LH review


 

I got this pen a couple of years ago as a gift from my wife. I can't remember the exact date. For sure at that time I already had a certain interest in fountain pens and it only got worse. We bought this pen at Timmermans 1845 in Ghent. I remember the shop assistant suggesting a nib for lefties (I you don't know actually I'm still a leftie). This nib was in black and went well with the black pen. In general, the pen appears large and heavy. The weight is not really balanced in the sense that a large part of the weight is directed towards the nib. For me, the weight of this pen is ideal. Using this pen in a posted way is not a problem, for sure with people who have some bigger hands.



The 'less is more' look of this pen is typical Lamy. The cap is a snap cap. This cap is very loose when the pen is closed, it seems to continuously turning around. I more prefer the cap to be in a fixed position. I asume this is not a Lamy build quality problem. The metal clip is very user-friendly and convenient. The brand name is stenced on the side of the clip. It's only now that I noticed that a small part of the inside of the clip is missing. As a result, the clip rubs against the cap which causes small scratches on the cap. Also where the barrel connects tot the section there is some small wear or damage.

The LH nib (stands for lefthanded) produces thick lines and is rather wet. I guess its nib size is situated somewhere between a medium and broad.

I used this pen for sketching and I really like it. The lines are spot on and for smaller lines i use the reverse side of the nib.

Don't forget this pen does not use the standard international cartridges. For cleaning purposes you can seperate the nib from the feeder.

This pen can easily be used as a daily carriage. The writing performance is outstanding. I didn't had any false starts or skips. 

Although I had some minor issues that only occurred after some years (see above), for me this pen belongs to my favorites.

This pen is available in black, olive silver and dark green (special edition). The pen costs about 55 Euros.

Because I'm so into green, I just ordered the dark green Lamy Aion at Appelboom (Nederland) and also ordered the Z55 golden nib. So happy :-)))


Comments

Popular Posts